- Our School
- Teaching & Learning
- Expectations & Policies
- For Parents
- Contact us
- Excursion Notes
- Subscriber confirmation
Formed following the amalgamation of Claremont Primary School (1893-2010) and East Claremont Primary School (1905-2010),
Freshwater Bay embraces both the history of its founding schools and the shared vision and values of the current school community.
The school was named in honour of its association with the first school in the Claremont area. In 1861 the General Board of Education officially listed the school by the name “Fresh Water Bay Public Mixed School”.
a community lead initiative led to the establishment of
Freshwater Bay Primary School
The following year, teacher Mrs. Herbert and 16 pupils moved into a building along Victoria Avenue which today functions as the Claremont Museum.
From these humble beginnings, and a series of opening/closures caused by population fluctuations, the school eventually opened in 1893 on the corner of Princess Road and Bay View Terrace, Claremont under the name “Claremont Government School”.
Increasing enrolment pressure led to the opening of the “adjunct school” Claremont Practicing School (“Prac”). In July 1905, 100 pupils from Claremont Government School walked up Princess Road to become the foundation students at “Prac”.
For more than 100 years the two schools operated independently until a community initiative led to their amalgamation and the establishment of Freshwater Bay Primary School in 2011.